Re: Error accessing mapped drive >2TB?

Greetings, Brian Inglis!

>> > Windows Explorer drive mappings are not visible from cmd or mintty/bash
>> > windows, but "net use x: \\live.sysinternals.com\tools" mappings are visible
>> > from separate cmd and mintty/bash windows as drive X: or /cygdrive/x, but
>> > x:\ is not accessible from Windows Explorer.
>>
>> Are you sure you're looking from the same user session?

> Same user session, different (elevated) cmd and mintty/bash console sessions.

Elevated process uses different user session.
Network mapped drive letters are session-bound.

>> If you start mintty/cmd elevated, you won't see drives mapped in Explorer
>> (non-elevated).

> Kind of figures on Windows - I would expect elevated sessions to be able to
> see mappings on non-elevated sessions.

That's not how it works. And is a part of reason why using mapped drives is
discouraged. For 15 years now, at least.

>> For me, everything works as expected. Drives mapped in batch file on system
>> start visible in Explorer without an issue.

> Found that when I started using W7 console sessions, net utilities, both MS
> and Cygwin nslookup, ping, tracert, etc. could not see the network unless
> they were run in elevated sessions, so set up all console sessions to start
> elevated. Was that something that happened on early releases and was fixed
> later, or some incorrect assumption or setting on my part years ago?

The latter.
If your logon script attempts to mount (net use) drive letters, but Explorer
don't see them, double check that it did indeed mounted them. I.e. insert
"pause" before the end of the script and check for any errors after its
execution.
Another possible solution (Cygwin-specific) is to use fstab bind mount for
network paths.
Third one, and that I've gone with myself is to use Vista+ NTFS functionality
to symlink network paths to local FS. Just remember to use FQDN host names or
IPs when doing so, else you could intermittently lose connectivity when using
VPN connections to other networks with different domain search suffixes.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...