Re: How to correctly rebase?

On Oct 14, 2015, at 4:08 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 3:30 PM, Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> So, why is setup.exe not writing to it?  604 is a weird permission set, but does it really need world writability?
>
> Nope.  I said âchmod 666 /var/log/setup.logâ, and setup.exe still isnât writing anything new to it.

Well, RTFS for the win: setup/main.cc, line 290 purposely fails to initialize the logger when itâs running with elevated permissions, as it will be when running under UAC.

I can think of some weak reasons why that might be the case, but nothing that convinces me that this is the right thing to do.

Anyway, this has drifted off topic for this list.  Anyone who cares enough to take it further should move the discussion to the cygwin-apps list.