Re: Cygwin DLL V2.3.0 on XP 64-bit professional not working at all

On Nov 13 05:31, Georg Rehfeld wrote:
> Am 12.11.2015 um 13:33, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>
> >>Thanks for the report.  I could reproduce the problem on 64 bit XP and
> >>64 bit Server 2003 and applied a patch.  I will upload a fixed 2.3.1
> >>probably this weekend.
> >
> >I just uploaded a developer snapshot to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
> >Maybe you'd like to give it a try.  Installing only the cygwin1.dll from
> >http://cygwin.com/snapshots/x86/cygwin1-20151112.dll.xz is sufficent
> >(but keep a backup of your current cygwin1.dll, just in case).
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Corinna
>
> Thanks Corinna for the immediate fix. Essentially it seems to work.
>
> *** What I did (possibly I've done something wrong) and the outcome:
>
> 1. downloaded/extracted the new cygwin1.dll and noted, that it is only
>    2.6MB; saved the old one (3.3MB) and copied the new one over the old
>    one in my restored Cygwin. Did a short test: everything fine.
>
> 2. started the Setup 32bit, updated 40 packages or so. Obviously the
>    cygwin1.dll was in the update (was again 3.3MB) ... so same/similar
>    post install errors as before.

Ideally you would have set the cygwin package to "keep" before starting
the installation :)

> 3. copied the snapshot DLL again and redid the setup. This time 0
>    packages to update, but the post install ran smoothly (needed
>    considerable time) except for this message:
>    -----
>    Package: _/Unknown package
>             xinit.sh exit code 3
>    -----
>
> I consider this harmless, because my X install was not OK from the
> beginning and I don't need it really (have to uninstall soon).
>
> I can start bash as usual (from within TotalCommander). All other
> commands/scripts I tested seem to work smoothly.
>
> So IMHO the patch was successful.
>
> Many thanks again, Georg

You're welcome.  If I get positive reply from Mario Roy in terms of
the flock problem, I create a 2.3.1 bugfix release ASAP.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat