Re: Symlink targets dereferenced when winsymlinks:native

On Nov 18 19:13, David Macek wrote:
> On 18. 11. 2015 18:55, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Nov 17 23:28, David Macek wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> I went through the UG looking for differences between regular Cygwin
> >> symlinks and NTFS symlinks, but couldn't find this documented. It
> >> seems that when using winsymlinks:native, the target path is first
> >> dereferenced before storing it in the link.
> >
> > It's a result of the native symlink being a Windows path.  The
> > ultimate conversion from POSIX to Windows path dereferences all
> > symlinks.
>
> Should that behaviour stay?

Yes.  Consider that neither Cygwin or Interix symlinks with SYSTEM bit
set, nor symlinks using WIndows shortcuts make any sense as part of a
native symlink.  As a result, Cygwin does a full path conversion from
POSIX to symlink-less Windows path to crate native symlinks.

> If not, I can send a patch for the UG.

UG?

> > Thanks for the report, I'll apply a matching patch.
>
> Cool.

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;h=8cdd7bad219ba2657e381bd0d716594c50a6ef62

Corinna

Red Hat