control-R broken in bash (__fzf_history__)

Recently I found that the behavior of control-R in bash had changed.
The key binding has been modified by the fzf-bash package to activate
the fzf fuzzy search program.  The first noticeable result is that
pressing control-R displays a message with the string
$(__fzf_history__) followed by a listing of history commands, instead
of searching through command-line history the way control-R worked
before.

I update my cygwin install frequently installing all new packages.  So
far the only way I've found to deactivate this is to uninstall the
fzf-bash package, but that is going to make my updates more
complicated as I'll have to click to install all packages then
manually deselect that package before proceeding.

Is there a way to disable the fzf bash keybinding without having to
uninstall the package?  Is there any chance this package could be
modified to not be turned on without being explicitly enabled in the
user's shell configuration files, so this radical environment change
doesn't happen just from installing the package?