Re: cksum giving inconsistent results on network drive

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Erik Soderquist
<ErikSoderquist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Nellis, Kenneth  wrote:
>> I'm seeing inconsistent results with cksum, with repeated
>> executions on the same file giving different results.
>> Now, I suspect I won't get much sympathy because I am
>> accessing the remote file through a "stone_age_old"*
>> (QNX4) Samba server through my Q: drive, but if there's
>> a solution to this, I'd love to hear it as I use
>> cksum to verify correct transfer of files.
>
> I expect if you did a capture of the traffic, you'd find the traffic
> itself has inconsistent data...
>
> My first suspicion is that there is very little you can do from the
> cygwin side outside of something like doing 5 consecutive tests and
> take the most consistent result.

If the traffic was bad, I'd suspect the byte count to be off as well,
but if the byte count is consistent (which it is here), then the
checksums should all be the same.

Have you tried a different hashing program, like md5sum or shasum, to
see if you still get inconsistent results?

--
Nem W Schlecht