Re: Deterministic builds

On 5/5/2016 4:26 PM, Warren Young wrote:
On May 5, 2016, at 11:59 AM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

Ismail's suggestion did indeed produce deterministic builds in my setup.  I built a large project with about 150 executables, changed a few source files, removed the build directory, rebuilt, and found that only the (expected) few executables changed.

âand does it do the same on a very different system?  e.g. Try it on both 64-bit Windows 10 and on 32-bit Windows 7.

Perhaps you donât need it, but part of the reason for the big push recently for reproducible builds is to be able to verify that binaries from a given source (e.g. Red Hatâs RPM feed) are in fact buildable from the sources distributed from the same source (e.g. Red Hatâs SRPMs).

Yes, that's a much more ambitious goal, and it's not what I was trying to do.

Ken