This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: 32 bit lib dirs on cygwin64, advice sought
- From: Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa dot com>
- To: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 15:08:10 -0600
- Subject: Re: 32 bit lib dirs on cygwin64, advice sought
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <942E9B22984F4DA8BBC52814E9069B43 at black7>
On May 29, 2016, at 6:30 PM, Jason Pyeron <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> I feel I am making things way too complicated.
> I have a Makefile, which is building a static library  in both 32 and 64
Donât do that. The 32-bit and 64-bit Cygwins are fundamentally incompatible:
If you must do 32- and 64-bit Cygwin development on a single machine, itâs best to have separate 32- and 64-bit Cygwin installations which do not share any files.
Iâll add one exception to that, which is that it is fine to share a tree for building packages with cygport between two Cygwins since it knows how to segregate the build products for you. It is possible to do this by hand, too, but itâs enough of a hassle that you could easily skip a step and end up commingling binaries of different word size, causing yourself problems.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple