This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Windows shortcut "bash -c" the only way? Naturally it ignores profile and hence locale
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Christoffer Aasted <chr dot aasted at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 20:41:47 +0300
- Subject: Re: Windows shortcut "bash -c" the only way? Naturally it ignores profile and hence locale
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAM9yT0-Y7nJoHuQ_O=F_miMT8y+qAtKYnJA+ceF7DiX8wLwCvA at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Christoffer Aasted!
> Hello Cygwin.
> I struggle in creating a Windows shortcut that launches a command and
> initializes the environment the way that the Cygwin64 Terminal
> C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash -l -c "set ssh -t firstname.lastname@example.org
> screen -r -d weechat"
Why "set" ?
> I am aware that "bash -c" behaves much differently and does source
> $HOME shell customizations /etc/profile, .bash_profile, .profile -
> I thought "-l" login shell was the solution.
> I tried sourcing /etc/profile; .bash_profile and .profile but this
> doesn't make fix anything.
> C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash -l -c "source /etc/profile; set
> ssh -t email@example.com screen -r -d weechat"
> The issue is that LANG is not properly set and even if I set it
> manually before entering SSH with a "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" (where I know
> my host has the locales properly set).
> Why would we have to run "bash -c" on shortcuts ? Isn't sending a
> command to mintty.exe supported or is the culprit cygwin?
Normally, I just run shell scripts directly. (Well, almost.)
I don't understand your struggle. May be you should just remove "set" ?
With best regards,
Thursday, June 2, 2016 20:39:51
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple