Re: stty icrnl

On Jun 7, 2016, at 6:05 PM, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:

> cu is the normal Unixy way of using a remote USB->serial line, but I can't
> find it in Cygwin packages

Taylor UUCP builds out of the box on Cygwin:

  $ wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/uucp/uucp-1.07.tar.gz
  $ tar xf uucp-1.07.tar.gz
  $ cd uucp-1.07
  $ configure && make -j11
  $ ./cu --version
  cu (Taylor UUCP) 1.07
  Copyright (C) 1991, 92, 93, 94, 1995, 2002 Ian Lance Taylor
  This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
  the GNU General Public LIcense.  This program has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

> searching for \<cu\>, and cu spews too many hits.

When searching on the Cygwin package search page, adding .exe to executables narrows the results considerably.

As it happens, there is a Cygwin package shipping *cu.exe, but it is not the cu(1) you are looking for.  Move along.

Adding a leading slash fixes that:

  Found 0 matches for /cu.exe

If you were searching elsewhere (e.g. Google) then, yes, âcuâ is a bad search term.  But if you knew that cu comes from the UUCP package, âcu uucpâ leads you right to Taylor UUCP.

See, I *knew* there was a reason I was spending my days on amber VT220s hacking Unix back when I could have been out making Vitamin D!