This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Lengthy "xmlto" build step in Cygwin.
- From: Aaron Digulla <digulla at hepe dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 23:26:34 +0200
- Subject: Re: Lengthy "xmlto" build step in Cygwin.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <bfbac5abef5b3937edd1f9814c5f4bc8 at mail dot kylheku dot com>
On 30.06.2016 19:19, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> Hi All,
> What's this doing?
> Writing faq.html for article(faq)
> sed -i 's;<a name="id[mp][0-9]*"></a>;;g' faq/faq.html
> ../../.././winsup/doc/bodysnatcher.pl faq/faq.html
> xmlto --skip-validation --with-dblatex pdf -o cygwin-ug-net/ -m
> ../../.././winsup/doc/fo.xsl ../../.. /./winsup/doc/cygwin-ug-net.xml
> Build the book set list...
> Build the listings...
> It sat for a long time in "book set list ..." with the CPU idle.
> Same thing for "Build the listings...". It's just sitting there and
> sitting there.
> Task Manager shows an xsltproc.exe that isn't doing anything.
> Is this making network calls to an unresponsive server in Cameroon or
No, in the US. Most likely something from w3c.org or a similar standard
It's an old problem with XML files which reference external sources like
XML Schemas or DTDs. The URL points to a standard place, so the tools
try to download the file. Since there is no accepted standard for
caching such files, each tool does it for itself or not at all. The W3C
doesn't seem to be swimming in money, so their site is slow at times. I
had 2-3 minute download times for some XML schema just two weeks ago.
I even have the problem with Eclipse which has built-in caches for XML
but for some reason, it's still trying to download some files when it's
validating XML files in projects.
- Force the tool to download via a proxy and make sure it keeps those files.
- Try to enable caching in the tool.
- Disable network access for XML tools. See your OS and tool options.
- Enable logging. If you have a firewall, tell it to deny access to the
sites which show up in the log. Make sure the firewall rejects the
access instead of simply swalling the request.
- Download the referenced files yourself and replace the URLs in the
sources with relative or local ones.
- Clench your teeth and wait.
Aaron "Optimizer" Digulla a.k.a. Philmann Dark
"It's not the universe that's limited, it's our imagination.
Follow me and I'll show you something beyond the limits."
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple