This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Anecdotal: Rebase and Visual Studio 2015 and /etc
- From: Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa dot com>
- To: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 16:47:19 -0600
- Subject: Re: Anecdotal: Rebase and Visual Studio 2015 and /etc
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <157ugawLx3936S01 dot 1467411169 at web01 dot cms dot usa dot net>
On Jul 1, 2016, at 4:12 PM, KARL BOTTS <email@example.com> wrote:
> I use Cygwin32 on Windows-64.
Then youâre artificially making rebaseâs job harder.
The list of 32-bit-only Cygwin packages is tiny these days, and youâve just rebuilt your Cygwin environment. With my new find-cyg-roots script, you could rebuild your current 32-bit environment under Cygwin 64 quickly.
That should prevent the reoccurrence of the rebase problem.
> Windows itself also
> uses lots of 32-bit components even under Win-64. In fact, VS itself is
> a (very large) 32-bit app.
Both for legacy reasons, neither of which apply to Cygwin.
> 32-bit software runs so smoothly under an opsys running on
> Intel64, is one of the latter's best features.
64-bit software runs on 64-bit CPUs pretty well, too. :)
>> Because Satya Nadella has been in charge for only about two years now.
> You think he's in charge?
Microsoft under Nadella feels a whole lot different than Microsoft under Ballmer to me. Sure heâs steering a large ship, but he *is* moving it.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple