Re: obsolete package libpopt0 dependencies

On 11 July 2016 at 14:56, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Mark Geisert writes:
>> Doug Henderson writes:
>> > To the maintainer of cygutils and cygutils-extra,.
>> >
>> > Please rebuild these packages to not use the obsolete package
> libpopt0.
>> >
>> > I found two other packages, libbonoboui2_0 and libgnome2_0 which also
>> > depended on libpopt0, but I was able to uninstall them with no
>> > difficult.
>>
>> Sorry for the inconvenience.  I'll look into this shortly.
>
> Not trying to avoid work :) but I hadn't heard that Cygwin's obsolete
> package conventions could cause a problem for users.  What issue does it
> cause for you?  Does it make packages hard to uninstall?  Does it pull in
> other unwanted packages?  Any description of the undesirable behavior
> would help me understand.
> Thanks,
>
> ..mark

Mark,

Out of curiosity, I checked for obsolete packages after seeing a
recent post which suggested to remove obsolete packages while trying
to diagnose and solve unusual problems. I think it was something to do
with cygwin installs failing after Win10 upgrades.

One obsolete package uninstalled with no complaint, but setup reported
that libpopt0 was used by the 4 packages I mentioned above.

I would presume that obsolete packages will not be maintained, and at
some point may cease to function properly, resulting in the sudden
failure of non-obsolete packages that depend on them.

With that in mind, I would suggest that dependence on an obsolete
package is an important trigger for preparing a new release for a
package.

TIA,
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada