Re: cygwinX xwin resolution

Ahhh ... a totally separate platform has the same issue on this hi-res small screen. This laptop is new and Band-In-A-Box needs Windows or Mac, so I'm testing Win 10 with cygwin X to get some of the stuff I'm used to in Linux.

When testing Freeplane with Java 8 (in the Win 10 environment) and not connected to Cygwin X at all. Same issue - icons are all small and stay small but content can be enlarged, and menus are already large enough.

So, as an fyi for similar situations, I'm finding gnome-terminal and pcmanfm to be most accommodating Cygwin X apps in allowing larger content fonts and reasonable menu sizes even though toolbar icons remain very small.

Thanks for your help.

---rob---

On 2016-07-22 9:25 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
On 22/07/2016 05:23, Dr. Rob Higgins wrote:
I cannot find, after two days, any documentation on how and where to
specify resolution parameters. I must be barking up the wrong trees.

My laptop under Windows has recommended resolution set at 3200 x 1800

CygwinX X Windows are much to small, and barely readable.

I guess this means that e.g. xterm font is too small, and so a 80x24
character window is small?

Can anyone just tell me where to look, or what to specify?

To answer the specific question, you can specify the a display
resolution using the '-dpi' option.

The "configuration" chapter of the user guide [1] points to "man XWin"
[2], which in turn points to "man Xserver" [3] for general server
options, including that one.

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-x-ug.html
[2] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/XWin.1.html
[3] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/Xserver.1.html

If changing that helps, I'd be very interested to know what the
autodetected value for dpi is, which is reported in
/var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log