Re: PATHEXT is fundamental to Windows and Should be recognised by CYGWIN

On 05/08/2016 21:43, cyg Simple wrote:
On Aug  5 11:20, Michel LaBarre wrote:
Hello cygsimple,

Thanks for the advice regarding line length.
I will try to remember to rein in my margins when emailing to cygwin.

Thanks for your recognition of PATHEXT's potential value;
reassuring to know I am not alone in my delusions.

Regarding providing code, I am somewhat stale (though I spent my first 20 work years
immersed in system code, assembly/C/Algol/Pascal/C++, building firmware for bit-sliced processors, etc.)

The patch to which I referred is one I found while researching the topic;
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-09/msg00127.html is one reference to it.
It is old and likely out of date.

That.  Plus, the refusal from cgf is still valid today.  If you see the
code required to handle .exe and .lnk extensions you don't *want*
PATHEXT support anymore.

I've seen that code and I still think it would be worthwhile to support
PATHEXT.

I have the impression you are really underestimating the
negative consequence to add additional burden on the current code.

Regards
Marco