Re: cygpath -w and .exe magic

On 26 August 2016 at 07:08, Nellis, Kenneth  wrote:
> Dear Cygwin Community,
>
> $ ls -l
> total 60
> -rwxr-x--- 1 knellis Domain Users 60927 Aug 26 08:57 hello.exe
> $ ./hello
> Hello, world!
> $ cygpath -w hello
> hello
> $
>
> The purpose of cygpath -w, it seems to me, is to provide
> to Windows a valid path given a Posix path.

There is no requirement that the any part of the path presented to
cygpath actually exists. Otherwise, you would not be able to pass the
name of a non-existent file or directory to a windows only program
that only understands strictly windows paths.

To do what you want, cygpath would need two new options. One to
specify that the path represents an existing filesystem object, and a
second to specify that the path represents an executable file.

Both of those options would require cygpath to inspect the file
system, rather than current operations which return path format
transformations or static information.

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada