This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
- From: Ben Altman <benalt at gmail dot com>
- To: bzs at theworld dot com
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 01:18:20 -0400
- Subject: Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On 5/27/2016 4:13 PM, Ben Altman wrote:
On 5/27/2016 3:58 PM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
As I said the slowdown was intermittant, Rapport had been running at
least a week or so before the slowdown started which didn't affect for
example cmd or power shell only cygwin that I noticed.
But when I stopped Rapport the slowdown (15+ second process
activation) disappeared instantly.
Needs more investigation but maybe this will help someone else, if I
can save just one child...
I understand and I am not disagreeing with your observations, but in
my case, and I failed to mention that I have had Rapport installed for
years now, I have not experienced that behavior as you have. Though, I
am planning on putting the configuration file of my script back next
week to see if that was what caused the behavior on my system. I will
try killing Rapport and see if that affects the situation now that you
have mentioned it.
This comes a while later but I was wrong and you were right.
I had thought since I had Rapport working with cygwin for so long
without issue that it couldn't be the source of the problem with regards
to my situation. With the update I did in cygwin something clearly had
changed causing a conflict. It took a while but I (finally) uninstalled
Rapport Trusteer yesterday and the problem was solved. In the meanwhile
I had gone so far as to install Windows versions of the GNU utilities to
try my script without cygwin but I had to use cygwin's sort because I
couldn't work out how to use it under Windows with a different locale
and it conflicted with join with the case insensitive option unlike
under cygwin where I could just do "LANG=en_EN sort -uf". I discovered
I could use cygwin's sort but if I used it's join while Rapport was
running my system was messed up afterwards. There were other triggers as
well, but now I am back to a normal system so thank you very much for
that advise despite the fact that I ignored it for so long.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple