Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]

On 2016-09-01 12:18, bzs@TheWorld.com wrote:
On September 1, 2016 at 13:52 ErikSoderquist@gmail.com (Erik Soderquist) wrote:
On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM,  wrote:
I've no idea what it does except in the most general terms but one of
my banks won't let me log in unless it's running so this has been
quite a nuisance as I have to stop it w/ their management interface
and then use task manager to kill their management interface which is
what seems to be the problem, etc., each time I need a bank balance.
And sometimes that stop or restart doesn't go right -- IE almost
always crashes* when it's restarted, etc. Doesn't sound like much but
20 minutes of your life going down the tubes on something that should
take 2 minutes (check a balance) gets old, fast.
* Some of my vendors only work right on IE, otherwise never use it so
everyone please save the advice :-)
For me that would be a case of notifying them of said problems and
that due to said problems (I include not being able to log in from my
tails live CD boot a problem) I will be finding a new vendor, and then
do so and close my accounts with the vendor with failing software.  I
have had some of these vendors come back to me later with "We've fixed
X, please come back".
All fine advice.
I have spoken to the bank involved numerous times but never got past a
very chipper, helpful person who is ready to show me how to start/stop
the software, listens to my problem (slowness) politely and then goes
back into their technical support dance. And is so many paygrades
below taking a general complaint it just sounds like I'm out to foul
their air. Frankly they probably suspect I don't know what I'm talking
about (probably not their software, what is "cygwin"? we can't be
responsible for your third-party apps speak to them if that's what
you're having problems with, etc.)
Also, the accts affected so far are business accts with various other
relationships so it's not quite as easy as walking down the block and
opening another acct w/ another bank tho it's not impossible and I am
looking into it, just spoke w/ another bank about taking it all over.
But, if one can, I do recommend if your bank starts requiring this
Rapport software change banks.
Maybe some day they'll fix it but until then it's just a headache.
And other than "IBM sold it to them" one never gets a straight answer
on why they even require this software. Again, that decision is too
many paygrades up for them to speculate about beyond "it improves
security".

If you have a security issue, ask to speak to their security group:
banks, telcos, utilities, they all have folks who can address and
escalate these issues, with your documentation of interaction with
the vendor, and maybe get a fixed release for you, giventhe business
and performance impact, and the other bank being considered ;^>

Technical reviews of the package concur that it is just another
malware blocker, but more intrusive than some others: check the
BLODA list for the other intrusive packages, a number of which
I have used and deinstalled because of (not just Cygwin) failures
and severe performance impacts in general.

P.S. Trusteer Rapport Cerberus is not yet on the BLODA list [hint]

[FAQ 4.45 What applications have been found to interfere with Cygwin?
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda]