Re: open IE from command line

On 2016-12-20 09:15, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> How to open a web page (remote or local) or launch IE from the
> mintty/bash command line?
> I've tried the following:
> $ cygstart "http://www.google.com";
> $ cygstart index.html # local page
> $ "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe"
> $ cygstart "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe"
> If IE is already open, the first two examples work, but otherwise,
> for all 4, IE flashes a window, which immediately closes.

Check your URL associations and default apps, and always run
Windows apps, or associated file types which run Windows apps,
using cygstart.
I've never tried IE locally but don't recall ever having any issues
on work systems where that was the mandatory default browser.

Have you tried rebooting - MS OS and apps seem to be able to go
zombie so you have to do the three finger decapitation, then
everything starts working normally again.

Firefox is my default browser and I've never had problems opening
local web pages, URIs, .URL links, or any other associated content
from bash, whether or not the browser or other app is already running.