Re: postgresql - Cannot initialize new Postgres database on Cygwin - Super User

On 11/01/2017 23:02, Chloe wrote:
When I try to initialize a new database, I get an error:

    $ /usr/sbin/pg_ctl init
    no data was returned by command ""/usr/sbin/initdb.exe" -V"
    The program "initdb" is needed by pg_ctl but was not found in the
    same directory as "/usr/sbin/pg_ctl".
    Check your installation.

    $ /usr/sbin/initdb.exe -V
    initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.6.1

    $ "/usr/sbin/initdb.exe" -V
    initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.6.1

    $ /usr/sbin/initdb.exe -D /usr/share/postgresql
    no data was returned by command ""/usr/sbin/postgres.exe" -V"
    The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in the
    same directory as "/usr/sbin/initdb".
    Check your installation.

    $ /usr/sbin/postgres -V
    postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.6.1

Cygwin 2.6.1, Postgres 9.6.1

http://superuser.com/questions/1166177/cannot-initialize-new-postgres-database-on-cygwin

Inizialization works for me

$ cygrunsrv -S cygserver

$ /usr/sbin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "marco".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.UTF-8".
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "UTF8".
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

Data page checksums are disabled.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 30
selecting default shared_buffers ... 128MB
selecting dynamic shared memory implementation ... sysv
creating configuration files ... ok
running bootstrap script ... ok
performing post-bootstrap initialization ... ok
syncing data to disk ... ok

WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the option -A, or
--auth-local and --auth-host, the next time you run initdb.

Success. You can now start the database server using:

    pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l logfile start

$ pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l logfile start
server starting

$ psql -l
                              List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding | Collate | Ctype | Access privileges
-----------+-------+----------+-------------+-------------+-------------------
 postgres  | marco | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
template0 | marco | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/marco +
           |       |          |             |             | marco=CTc/marco
template1 | marco | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/marco +
           |       |          |             |             | marco=CTc/marco
(3 rows)

can you provide your cygcheck.out ?
https://www.cygwin.com/problems.html

Regards