Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.7.4

Am 05.02.2017 um 21:36 schrieb Brian Inglis:
On 2017-02-05 11:35, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Hi Achim,

Am 04.02.2017 um 17:13 schrieb Achim Gratz:
Thomas Wolff writes:
I have uploaded mintty 2.7.4 with the following changes:
Since about November/December last year I'm having problems with
screen and tmux sessions in mintty not correctly refreshing and
leaving garbage characters displayed in the terminal. It seems that
the terminal size is not always correctly reported, especially if
you make the window occupy the left or right half of the screen via
Windows shortcut.
Is this within tmux or after leaving tmux (see comment below)? It
would be help to cross-test this; if it's mintty, which version
would show the behaviour first? What happens in xterm?
Additionally, there seems to be an off-by-one bug when the last
line of the terminal needs to be scrolled up in order to show
content that is longer than the remaining width. This happens when
you for instance recall a long command from history. It's hard to
see what exactoly happens, but it looks like the one character too
many gets printed (and wraps onto the next line) before the whole
terminal window gest scrolled up and the rest of the command gets
printed in the line below the single wrapped character. That
remainder is in various states of disarray, showing both remnants
from the original prompt on the last line (now three lines up),
empty /spaces where there should have been characters from the
command and then of course parts of the command.
This might be related to some issue with terminal geometry as
perceived by the shell (see
https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/377#issuecomment-137728631).
Have you checked that? Recently changed your prompt? Try with basic
prompt (PS1="\w> ") please.
Thanks for supporting and enhancing mintty to be even better in
Cygwin, and able to be used as a console for other environments.

The test below may be relevant to the above problem, or may be
unrelated.
Running vttest 2.7 (20140305)
http://invisible-island.net/vttest/vttest.html
updated by and used by xterm maintainer for testing.

Test 1. Test of cursor movements screens 3 80 col mode and 4 132 col
mode gives results looking like below ...
I was aware this test fails, but save any related bug reports so far I had assumed it would not be relevant for applications... Actually, urxvt (rxvt-unicode as invoked on cygwin) fails the same test in the same way, so @Achim: can you please retest with urxvt, for some additional diagnostic information? Actually, also xterm would fail this test if vttest would not disable Reverse Wraparound mode initially. It also enables Wraparound mode which again affects the test case. Mintty does not support Reverse Wraparound mode disabling, it's always implicitly enabled. I could try to change that, however, I'm not sure yet that's really the cause. Also, the "proper" way to handle wraparound situations (in the 4 combinations of the 2 modes) is not completely clear, and Reverse Wraparound is an xterm specific mode which did not exist on the DEC terminals. See some links for reference: bash - An obscure one: Documented VT100 'soft-wrap' escape sequence? - Stack Overflow <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31360385/an-obscure-one-documented-vt100-soft-wrap-escape-sequence#31360700>
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31360385/an-obscure-one-documented-vt100-soft-wrap-escape-sequence#31360700
XTerm – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) <http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#vt100_wrapping>
http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#vt100_wrapping
VT100 Termcap Entry (CENG 455) <http://www.pitt.edu/%7Ejcaretto/text/cleanup/vt100-termcap.html>
http://www.pitt.edu/%7Ejcaretto/text/cleanup/vt100-termcap.html

It may also be useful if mintty had some character hex value box
display mode switch to display the actual codes at each visual
position, or maybe a font used to display the character hex value in
a box, often used in fonts as glyphs for non-printing control
characters and those in the Private Use Area, in which case that could
perhaps be added to the mintty package for use in testing.
I have been searching for such a font with no success so far.
Hmm, I don't see how that's related to this issue, but it might be a nice feature. Like my text editor, mined, actually does: inform about current character code and name (and CJK details if desired). I could imagine to have a mode (switchable by context menu) that shows this information in the window title bar, to avoid the effort of handling a popup box.

------
Thomas