Re: cygpath -w converts relative paths to absolute windows paths

On 2/7/2017 10:30 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Roger Qiu!
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I've found that `cygpath --windows '../` will give back an absolute
>> windows path.
>
>> I thought this would only happen if you provide the `--absolute` flag,
>> or when the path is a special cygwin path.
>
> ".." is a special path, that can't be safely converted.
> In all cases, using absolute path is preferred for many reasons.

May be preferred but the -a --absolute flags tell me that it should be a
user choice and not forced on the user.

>> But this occurs just for normal directories.
>
>> I have come across a situation where I need to convert ntfs symlinks to
>> unix symlinks and back. Sometimes these symlinks have relative paths
>> them. Now by using cygpath --windows, I get back absolute paths, which
>> means the integrity of the symlink isn't preserved.
>
>> Can `cygpath --windows '../directory'` give back `..\directory` for
>> paths aren't special cygwin paths? These relative backslashes are
>> supported in Windows right now.
>
> AFAIK, Windows do not support relative junction points.

But it should be left to the user of the tools to use them with their
environment as needed.  Getting too cautious to "help" the user with
their own environment isn't ideal because there is always someone else
that the caution hurts.

--
cyg Simple