RE: cygpath (reprised)

From: Andrey Repin
> > But, consider the following:
>
> > $ cygpath -w a:b | od -An -tx1c
> >   41  3a  62  0a
> >    A   :   b  \n
> > $
>
> > Instead of the special character colon (:), shouldn't cygpath be showing
> > something in the Unicode Private Use area?
>
> No, it shouldn't.
> You've requested a name "b" in the current directory on the disk "A:", or
> a file substream "b" of the file "a".
> Both are valid system paths.

Right. Thanx. I wondered why the "a" got up-cased.

I suppose one could argue that, by using -w, that cygpath might assume that it
is converting *from* a POSIX path, and therefore the colon would not indicate
a drive letter--wouldn't that make sense?--but I’ll let someone else take up
that battle. ☺

Also, in the following, I would expect cygpath to figure out that I *am not*
specifying a drive letter:

$ cygpath -w ./a:b | od -An -tx1c
  41  3a  62  0a
   A   :   b  \n
$

But I don't have a dog in this fight, either.

(Replying to a direct reply from Mr. Repin rather than from the list, so hoping
this doesn't break message threading.)

--Ken Nellis