Re: Strange errors running gcc tests on Cygwin

On 3/9/2017 6:51 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-03-09 15:53, Daniel Santos wrote:
>
>>> If you are running a lot of Cygwin services, cron or Scheduled Tasks,
>>> and/or background processes, you may want to look at running cygserver
>>> to cache process info and common system info (including SAM/AD).
>> I'm only running sshd -- no cron or "at" jobs (except whatever
>> Windows installs by its self). However, gcc's make check spawns a LOT
>> of processes.
> Which was why I suggested it.
Even on linux, I don't find it satisfactory to run make check without
limiting processes to number of cores.  On cygwin and wsl, make check
seems to run into deadlocks or at least disastrous timeouts when running
multiple processes.  With a single process, cygwin runs it more reliably
than wsl does.  Conversely, sometimes (rarely) wsl can run make check-c
and make check-fortran simultaneously.
So it takes typically 2 full days to build and make check on cygwin.

--
Tim Prince