Re: Downgrade opensshh from 7.4 to 5.1?

On 3 April 2017 at 11:03, cyg Simple <cygsimple@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/3/2017 10:45 AM, Kleine Raphael wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> My client can not support OpenSSH_7.2p2 (OpenSSL 1.0.2h  3 May 2016)
>> and I must downgrade the server to OpenSSH_5.1p1 (OpenSSL 0.9.8l 5 Nov
>> 2009)
>>

> Explain more the "can not support".

While I agree we need more information, this may be one of the cases
where a person is trying to be circumspect due to other policies.

I think that the OpenSSH after 6.9 started dropping support for older
algorithms (https://www.openssh.com/txt/release-7.0) . If you are
using SSH to manage various industrial equipment then you are pretty
much stuck with using older SSH because the equipment may only support
RC4 or maybe only has keys of 512 or 768 bits. [Trying to get an
industrial manufacturer to update equipment is a multi-decade process.
They may have just started creating hardware which has SSH vs straight
telnet and they won't update to a newer version of SSH until 2028 :/]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.