Re: Sometimes Emacs sticks on forking...

On 2017-06-15 00:48, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> On 2017-06-13, Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>> If you want to run an AV, try Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall
>> (with MSE/MS Security Essentials free download if you are still on W7).
>> They seem to do the same job less intrusively with fewer problems,
>> mainly the occasional annoying false positive.
>
> Windows Defender is on BLODA list:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

BLODA list has no dates or versions against entries, so it's possible
that an earlier standalone MS Security product had problems, that may be
lessened in the functions available in Windows 7 and 10.

> I actually want to disable it, not to install ((

If you want to disable its functions, go into Settings, Updates &
security, Windows Defender, exclude Cygwin or Windows root directory,
then switch settings off.
You may also have to change settings under Control Panel, Security and
Maintenance, Security, to disable functions.

> And it is prepackaged for Win10 Home edition (that is free update).
>
>> On 12 June 2017 at 23:30, Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>>   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
>>>   "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
>>>   "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001

They are probably also changeable from Settings as above.

> Those settings doesn't prevent ``C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe``
> from starting ((

Go to Task Manager, Startup, Windows Defender notification icon, and set
it to disable. You may have to kill the task, or restart Windows to stop
it running, and you may then have to tell Windows that you really don't
want to run Windows Defender.