Re: XLanuch.exe is a Trojan-It allows remote control of my pc without my knowledge or permission

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Sagar Kapadia  wrote:
> HI,
> I wish to report that Cygwin.XLaunch.exe is a Trojan and it allows
> remote control of a pc without the users knowledge or permission. I
> installed the cygwin package and the Xwindows server too. However,
> today, I found somebody controlling my pc remotely. I know because the
> mouse behaved erratically and then the XLanuch configuration screen
> came up. I tried to kill it using the Task Manager but it would
> restart. I had to reboot and turn off networking and then delete the
> cygwin folder.

Where did you get this copy of cygwin from?  Did you use the official
installer package from the cygwin site?
https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe or
https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe

XLaunch itself is a wizard to configure X server sessions, and if
someone remote controllig your PC is happening with the legitimate
XLaunch executable, I would suspect there is something else unwanted
on your machine that is using XLaunch as a tool.

However, if the cygwin source you downloaded from was either
compromised or was not a legitimate mirror to start with, that is not
a direct fault of cygwin, but rather a fault of the source of your
download.

> I dont know if you are aware of this issue or not, but I found it
> serious enough to report.

This is the first I've heard

-- Erik