Re: Segmentation fault with binutils 2.28.1

On 03/10/2017 13:49, Steven Penny wrote:
On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 07:48:51, Marco Atzeri wrote:
I assume it is one of the reason why the compiler and binutils
you are using are still in test and not current

@ mingw64-x86_64-binutils
version: 2.25.0.1.23f238d-1
[test]
version: 2.28.1.12c1f20d-1

@ mingw64-x86_64-gcc-g++
version: 5.4.0-3
[test]
version: 6.3.0-1

Notice carefully that I did not saying anything about GCC 6.3.0 in this thread.

Steven,
you wrote nothing at all.
So it is difficult to understand what is your exact issue as in
the past you blamed the compiler.
Error report should be clear and complete;
only links to other place are not enough.

Also notice that you are incorrectly assuming that I am using GCC 6.3.0. The
binutils in question does not work with either 5.4.0 nor 6.3.0.

As you shifted the target from g++ to binutils

I did this because binutils is the problem, not GCC:

- http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-09/msg00289.html
- http://github.com/Martchus/tageditor/issues/23

I saw the comment from Martchus
"Note that when I had been using mingw-w64-binutils 2.28 (before recent update to 2.29) I didn't encounter this issue. I never tried 2.28.1."

So it does not seem an issue specif of 2.28

do you have evidence that 2.29 will solve the issue ?

It seems that both 2.28 and 2.29 both work, so instead of trying to
troubleshoot we should probably just build a newer version and release that as
test:

http://github.com/Martchus/tageditor/issues/23#issuecomment-332686239

Have you built it ? Or are you only asking Jon to dedicate his time ?

Last time I had issue with cygwin binutils 2.25, I built the 2.28.90
and I verified that was solving the issue I saw.
I was not just expecting Jon to debug it alone.

Regards
Marco