Re: a few tar.xz packages are bigger than their uncompressed tar

On 24.09.2017 11:46, Jérôme Bouat wrote:
Hello,

I looked into the local folder where the downloaded packages are saved
before they are installed. I noticed that a few compressed archives
files are using more size than their uncompressed form. For example,
the libstdc++6-6.4.0-1.tar.xz file uses more space than its
uncompressed tar file (on cygwin x86_64).

That is not surprising. All compression methods may sometimes inflate
the final amount of data.

No compression method need ever increase the
size of the datum by more than one bit.

The compressed representation can begin with a header
bit which is 1 to indicate "compressed" and 0 to indicate
"stored without compression".