git can not access remote repository anymore after cygwin+git update

I'm using 64 Bit Cygwin on Windows 7. After upgrading Git to version
2.14.2 (I think I had 2.13 or 2.12 before), git can not access our
repository anymore. Commands such as "git pull" or "git push" result
into the error

and the repository exists.

Since I can't go back to the previous version (I didn't find any Git
mirror which has 2.12 or 2.13), I have now intalled Git for Windows
(https://git-scm.com/) along Cygwin git, also in Version 2.14.2. With
this, I don't have any problems (I have installed it in a separate
directory, which is not in my PATH, and I'm using git-scm for operations
which access our remote repository, and Cygwin git for everything else).

This works fine so far, but I still wonder what has changed in git so
that this is broken. Of course it could also be that the permission
error is not related to the new git version, but to some changes in the
Cygwin core libraries, because they had also been updated.

Note that there is no "real" access problem from the Windows side,
because if it were so, Git for Windows would also report an error.

Any idea what's wrong here?

Ronald