Re: Attention PostgreSQL maintainer

OK, here's and attempt at a set of install instructions for
  Windows 10 Professional Ver 10.0 Build 14393
  Cygwin DLL version: 2.9.0-3
  Postgresql: 9.6.5-2

I got slightly muddled with the cygserver and postgress
install-as-service steps, so the attached may not quite be right in that
regard, I won't be in a position to do another clean install until next
week to confirm, so happy to hear from someone else who can do so
sooner...

Maintainer: Please note what I believe to be a bug in the current
release which is described/fixed in the second step below.

ht

I was eventually able to follow a modified version of
"For the impatient: install as service (hard)" from
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql.README, as follows:

* Dump your old database, if you had a previous installation

* !!!! IMPORTANT!!!: edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
   to fix what I believe is a bug as shipped:
   On line 32 or thereabouts, change
    DAEMON="$progdir/$prog.exe"
   --->
    DAEMON="$progdir/$prog"

* Adjust any other (e.g. PATH) settings in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql

* If you had an old installation, move the data directory
  (e.g. /usr/share/postgresql/data) elsewhere, or at least save
  .../data/postgresql.conf somewhere before you delete .../data

* If you don't already have cygserver running as a service:
    > /usr/bin/cygserver-config
    > cygrunsrv --start cygserver

* Initialise Postgresql
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql initdb # in an elevated shell
     The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "[you]".

     The database cluster will be initialized with locale "C".
     The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

     Data page checksums are disabled.

     creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data ... ok
     creating subdirectories ... ok
     selecting default max_connections ... 30
     selecting default shared_buffers ... 128MB
     selecting dynamic shared memory implementation ... posix
     creating configuration files ... ok
     running bootstrap script ... ok
     performing post-bootstrap initialization ... ok
     syncing data to disk ... ok

     WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
     You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the option -A, or
     --auth-local and --auth-host, the next time you run initdb.

     [Success. You can now start the database server using:

	 /usr/sbin/pg_ctl -D /usr/share/postgresql/data -l logfile start # ignore this!]

     done.

* If you had a previous install, do a diff between your saved
  postgresql.conf and the new .../data/postgresql.conf and copy over
  any substantive changes you had made and wish to keep

* Install as a service
  > /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql install
   - cygserver OK - Installing PostgreSQL daemon: done.
  > /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

* Cleanup up the initial odd role situation
  > psql -U SYSTEM postgres
   postgres=# ALTER ROLE "SYSTEM" WITH SUPERUSER INHERIT CREATEROLE CREATEDB LOGIN REPLICATION;
   postgres=# CREATE ROLE [yourCygwinLogin];
   postgres=# ALTER ROLE [yourCygwinLogin] WITH SUPERUSER INHERIT NOCREATEROLE CREATEDB LOGIN NOREPLICATION;
   postgres=# \q

* Create a database for yourself
  > psql -U [yourCygwinLogin] postgres
   postgres=# CREATE DATABASE xyzzy WITH TEMPLATE=template0 OWNER=[yourCygwinLogin] ENCODING=....;
   postgres=# \q
  > psql -U [yourCygwinLogin] xyzzy
   [off you go]
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk