Re: calloc speed difference

On 1/12/18, cyg Simple  wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 3:41 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Corina, how reliable is the Cygwin time function on a non-Cygwin
>>> executable?  Isn't this a comparison of apples to oranges?

The wall-clock time seems reliable.  Timing a non-Cygwin executable
gives you 0.0 for the user & sys categories but I don't care about
them anywhere near as much as how long it takes for the program to
run.

>> I wasn't comparing, in fact.  I was just saying that Cygwin's malloc
>> is slow, partially because dlmalloc is not the fastest one, partially
>> due to the serialization overhead in multithreading scenarios.
>
> No, but the OP *is* doing a compare.  From what I remember doing a time
> comparison of a non-Cygwin app compared to a Cygwin app isn't really a
> logical comparison.

I'm probably missing something, but.. I have the source code.  I have
the choice of using the cygwin gcc compiler or the mingw cross
compiler.  If both executables produce the same results then comparing
execution times seems perfectly valid.

On the other hand, if the program produces text output (ie. dos vs.
unix line endings) then dealing with dos line endings in the cygwin
environment might be enough of a pain that I accept the ease-of-use
vs. execution time tradeoff and keep everything compatible w/ cygwin.

>  Even if the two were a Cygwin app multiple runs of
> the same app will show variance.

But not the seconds vs. minutes difference that I occasionally see
when comparing cygwin vs. native app performance.

Regards,
Lee