Re: Printing (lpr, print, cat > <various names> returns printer not valid or no longer available

Greetings, Rodney Barnhart!

Please no top-posting in this list.
See https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU , also https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

> Andrey,
> Thanks for responding.
> I have to apologize in advance. I don't know the answer to your question.

You can find it by using the usual means.

$ which <program>

will tell you, what is the actual path it is using currently.

> It's the lpr that executes under the bash system once CYGwin starts. I did a
> search for lpr.exe under windows and found one under an obscure windows
> directory. When I tried to execute it said it can't run on my PC? Windows
> doesn't seem to have a native lpr?

It should, if printer monitor service is installed.
Does not mean it will be an equal substitution.

> I don't know how to find the Cygwin lpr that I'm using. I remind you that
> print, catting to $PRINTER don't work either.
> If you tell me how I'll find which lpr is running under bash in Cygwin.

Did you "find" it in WinSxS cache?

P.S.
It was a long time since I last tried smth like this, but I can replicte your
issues. Even if the job was sent to printer, it results in error.
On another hand, running text files trough

convert text:... pdf:- | lpr -lP '//$HOSTNAME/Device'

did produce some usable results. With PDFCreator.
It appears, the data sent to the printer must be understood by the printer
itself.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin