RE: sed seems to force UC filename on Mixed 8.3 filenames on FAT32

I agree it is likely the system but it is curious that the only program that readily displays the problem is dos2unix (and unix2dos and mac2unix and unix2mac - I tried them).

I looked for recent similar issues and only found https://superuser.com/questions/1297658/folder-names-become-uppercase-when-syncing-to-fat32-drive
So if other users of this Win10 build start tripping on this same problem and reporting it, it may get looked at by MS.
If RedHat has some dev contacts, you might have more luck highlighting the issue than riffraff like us.

Fergus: Looking at the first trace file, the very last rename operation looks to be where the final filename is established.  If you were to compile a short program doing exactly that call will little else, you might confirm a minimal reproduceable case.

Here's one last variation:
E:\junk>ls > Abc.txt12

E:\junk>dos2unix Abc.txt12
dos2unix: converting file Abc.txt12 to Unix format...

E:\junk>ls
Abc.txt12

The target name is not 8dot3 conforming and all case is preserved.  Same with  Abcdefghijkl.txt

The target name seems to only fail when it looks to be 8dot3 conforming.

/Michel