Re: msmtp depends on Gnome!?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 03:24:50PM -0400, Will Parsons wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 Mar 2018  9:40 PM -0400, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > On 2018-03-28 15:50, Stephen Paul Carrier wrote:
> >> msmtp is billed as a light-weight SMTP client and I would like to use
> >> it with cron instead of ssmtp.
> >> What's not light-weight is its dependency on libgnome-keyring0 which
> >> has more dependencies that eventually bring in Gnome.  This is for a
> >> headless workstation.
> >> Is it possible to remove or replace this dependency so that msmtp can
> >> be installed without enlarging the size of the install by such a factor?
> >
> > Look at the other packages under the Mail category e.g. email, mailutils, nmh.
> > I've poked around with some of them, and most are pretty easy to set up and use,
> > depending on your requirements.
>
> That may be true, but it is still surprising that msmtp should depend
> on libgnome-keyring0.  I don't use msmtp under Cygwin, but I do under
> FreeBSD, and under the latter platform, my version of msmtp seems to
> depend on:
>
>         bash-4.4.12_3
>         ca_root_nss-3.36
>         indexinfo-0.3.1
>         gettext-runtime-0.19.8.1_1
>
> This obviously will not translate directly into Cygwin, but it
> certainly suggests that the OP's comment is justified.  (I'll have to
> admit, I don't know why even bash should be a dependency.)

My use case is a sendmail replacement (MTA) to use with cron.  I want to
configure it to send correctly formatted e-mail to a smarthub.  That is
all I need.  Cron expects something with sendmail-like commandline
interface.  ssmtp does this poorly (and hasn't been maintained since
2009).  msmtp is reputed to do this also, more reliably, more flexibly,
and had a new version released in 2016.

I don't need a MUA client like email, nmh, or a local delivery agent
like comes with mailutils.  These are not sendmail workalikes.

I understand that Gnome may include a library used by msmtp.  Maybe that
library could be packaged separately?  It sort of defeats the purpose
of providing light-weight network utility if a desktop needs to be
installed just to get a miscellaneous library function. It is not even
a graphical program.

Also, maybe this dependency is just an oversight?  Also, maybe
libgnome-keyring0 is really standalone and doesn't actually depend on
a desktop.  Wherever this issue comes from it would be great and I would
appreciate the effort if anyone can correct it.

Thanks!

Stephen Carrier