Re: Customizing DocBook

"Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> godoy@conectiva.com.br writes:
>  > > excuse me, but this is plain Wrong. JadeTeX does not use LaTeX
>  > > stylesheets.
>  >
>  > How can one customize JadeTeX output?
>  > Only with DSSSL?
>
> yes, of course, thats the whole point of using DSSSL!

:-)
In theory it works perfectly, but...

>  > I don't think that I'll obtain everything I get with
>  > LaTeX stylesheets
>
> very true. thats the price you pay for using an unproven formatting
> language, not fully implemented :-}

... here's the point: if I don't have it in a DSSSL tool, how can I
use it? I can't.

>  > Yep, but while it's not fully implemented will still get some problems
>  > that need to be hacked on the output format and not on DSSSL
>  > itself...
>
> sorry, but i think you are in trouble if you try and solve things by
> hacking the output. it would be much better to write a trivial Docbook
> to LaTeX converter and use normal LaTeX stylesheets, if you need the
> facilities. after all, if you only use the TeX backend of DSSSL, it
> does not buy you much.

While there's no full implementation of DSSSL we'll have to hack the
output or we'll never get what we want --- and _need_ --- to. The
LaTeX/JadeTeX output is not all what I want (we use RTF too so that
people in the Windows world can read what we do, and we also use some
other formats) so I would have to write lots of code... Hacking this
specific output gets part of the job done, so I did it.
And while there's no way to implement it with DSSSL only, this is how
things will be going here and in other places. It's just a matter of
_no_ choice to work in the correct manner. I hate that and it is very
"expensive" and time consuming...

--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações
Publishing Department                   Conectiva S.A.