Re: screenshots in PDF output

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 02:48:20PM -0400, Kevin M. Dunn wrote:
> The modular print stylesheets don't list png as a graphics extension by
> default. In 1.52, these are listed in dbparam.dsl and
> db31.dsl. The best option is to build a custom stylesheet (model after
> cygnus-both.dsl in 1.52) with the following addition:
>
> (define %graphic-extensions%
>   '("jpg" "png" "tex" "gif"))
>
> (define %graphic-default-extension%
>   "png")
>
> (define preferred-mediaobject-notations
>   (list "TEX" "JPG" "JPEG" "PNG" "linespecific"))
>
> (define preferred-mediaobject-extensions
>   (list "tex" "jpg" "jpeg" "png"))
>
> (define acceptable-mediaobject-extensions
>   (list "gif" "bmp"))
>
> (define acceptable-mediaobject-notations
>   (list "GIF" "GIF87a" "GIF89a" "BMP"))

I spoke too soon.  I've done that, which lets met get PDF output with
pictures.  But then it breaks the PS output.

If I order my document so that the PNG image is first then I get working
HTML and PDF output.

    <mediaobject>
      <imageobject>
        <imagedata fileref="test.png" format="png">
      </imageobject>

      <imageobject>
        <imagedata fileref="test.eps" format="eps">
      </imageobject>
    </mediaobject>

Previewing the PS output in Ghostscript gives errors when viewing the
page containing the image.

However, if I reverse the order:

    <mediaobject>
      <imageobject>
        <imagedata fileref="test.eps" format="eps">
      </imageobject>

      <imageobject>
        <imagedata fileref="test.png" format="png">
      </imageobject>
    </mediaobject>

then the PS and HTML versions build, and the PDF version fails with

    LaTeX Warning: File `test.eps.png' not found on input line 488.

If I try and work around this by including "eps" in %graphic-extensions%

    (define %graphic-extensions%
     '("jpg" "png" "tex" "gif" "eps"))

and preferred-mediaobject-notations with

    (define preferred-mediaobject-notations
      (list "TEX" "JPG" "JPEG" "PNG" "EPS" "linespecific"))

and rebuild I get

    ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps.

Is what I'm trying to do (i.e., build HTML, PS, and PDF documents using EPS
files for images in the PS, and PNG files for images in the HTML and PDF
output) actually possible, without resorting to hacks involving parameter
entites and "INCLUDE"/"IGNORE"?