Re: Re: Can a DocBook Wizard Spare A Few Minutes?

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 04:37:09PM -0700, papowell@astart.com wrote:
> Ahhh...  Getting there...
>
> Here is a STRANGE one for you:  the Edition information
> is not produced for the HTML style sheets:
>
> 0.  Edition information
>     How do I get this to appear in HTML Output AND Tex Output
>     so that it is under the title:

Section 3 of the documentation that comes with the stylesheets covers
this ("Customizing the stylesheets").

If you look there at the "Customizing the Title Page" section you will
see that the variable %book-titlepage-recto-elements% controls what elements
will appear on the title page.

  % cd /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/html
  % grep book-titlepage-recto-elements *
  XREF:book-titlepage-recto-elements
  dbttlpg.dsl:(define (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
  dbttlpg.dsl:                               (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
  dbttlpg.dsl:                   (book-titlepage-recto-elements)

If you look in dbttlpg.dsl you'll see

  (define (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
    (list (normalize "title")
          (normalize "subtitle")
          (normalize "graphic")
          (normalize "mediaobject")
          (normalize "corpauthor")
          (normalize "authorgroup")
          (normalize "author")
          (normalize "editor")
          (normalize "copyright")
          (normalize "abstract")
          (normalize "legalnotice")))

As you can see, "edition" is not in there by default.  So, in your own
stylesheet (which is a customisation layer of Norm's, you can put

  (define (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
    (list (normalize "title")
          (normalize "subtitle")
          (normalize "graphic")
          (normalize "mediaobject")
          (normalize "corpauthor")
          (normalize "authorgroup")
          (normalize "author")
          (normalize "edition")
          (normalize "editor")
          (normalize "copyright")
          (normalize "abstract")
          (normalize "legalnotice")))

See how I've redefined the variable definition, and added "edition" in?  If
you do that in your stylesheet you should see the edition info appearing
on your output.  Of course, if you want other elements to appear on the
title page (or fewer) then alter this list to taste.

Norm:  While this method is feasible, and documented, it's not particularly
user friendly.  Any chance we could have per-element variables that control
this sort of thing?

    (define %book-titlepage-edition%
      #t)

is a little easier to document. . .