Making the jump to XML

It seems my fears were well founding: Now that my publisher (Pearson)
has seen the light and wholeheartedly endorses our use of DocBook
for end-to-end publishing, it seems their tools will be XML while
ours (kernelbook) are SGML.  Looks like it is finally time to convert.

Now I have a problem: All the refs say the transition is easy except
for CDATA sections, but no one says what to use as an alternative to
the CDATA.  Since our book has a lot of programlistings, we need a
better solution than escaping invalid sections by hand.

So ... how do I break my CDATA habit?  Methadrine? Apomorphine?
Chewing gum?