Re: Large documents

    S> I have wondered about this, and it strikes me as a fairly
    S> complex task. It would have to mean doing all the
    S> cross-referencing by means of an intermediate data file

Since LaTeX already does this, we have the first program of the
"write two, throw first away" rule.  Perhaps it could be done
via a database connection.  Even if each file must be run through
a program which produces a per-file directory of anchors and then
another utility binds these together for the final print run.
(equivalent to the multi-pass LaTeX invocations)