Re: Getting Rid of Character Entities in DocBook XML Docs

Hi!

Thanks for your quick reply!

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:

> Brain cramp. What's osx again?

"osx" is a tool coming with the "openjade" distribution; in the "jade"
distribution it is named "sx". It can be used for converting SGML
documents into XML documents.

> So the short answer is, just leave it " " as is. But I don't know
> how to tell osx to do that.

Ok, do you perhaps know of another tool that's capable of handling
character entities in an appropriate way. Unfortunately, I can't leave
"&nbsp" as it is, since when I'm "fop" (an XSL fo processor written in
Java) in conjunction with "xalan" (an XSLT processor that produces fo
output, written in Java as well) in order to produce a PDF version of my
document, I get a fatal error of the form

FATAL ERROR: The entity "nbsp" was referenced, but not declared.

Though I got to say I get a PDF file. When I try to preview it with
"xpdf", however, I get these messages:

Error: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Error: Couldn't read xref table

I guess that's due to the problem concerning the character entities.

Thanks for any hints!

Greetings,

	Holger