Re: TeX capacity exceeded,sorry [number of strings=51918].

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 07:04:14PM -0500, Bob McIlvride wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> > I've tweaked values in texmf.cnf till I'm blue in the face.  I know that
> > the tweaks are having an effect, because if I adjust values *down* then
> > the error message occurs earlier.  But no matter how high I adjust the
> > values it always bombs out at 51918 strings.
>
> We hit this same problem a while back and finally decided that the
> tex/pdfjadetex path must have some kind of absolute limit, because we
> couldn't process our stuff either.  The total size of our manual at that
> time was 700+ pages (about 1.1 megs zipped), and tex always conked out
> around 620 or so pages, as I recall.

That sounds familiar.  When processed, my book's 761 pages.  The
conversion using regular TeX is fine, but it bombs out when running
pdftex.

So much for Knuth's assertion that TeX doesn't have any bugs.  <sigh>

> We finally decided to break the book into three volumes for PDF
> distribution, since it was going to be huge in published format anyway.

I'm going to have to do something similar I think.  Or start using
ps2pdf instead.

I dug up this message from Sebastian in the archives;

    http://www.biglist.com/lists/dssslist/archives/200005/msg00129.html

I assume you guys are the same 'cogent' mentioned in that message.