unwanted extra blank pages for title page only

All --

(Yes, this is a slightly modified repost.  As Norm seems to be in an
answering mood, and as I never got any replies the first time 'round,
I thought I'd repost :-)

I'm using DocBook 4.1 (SGML) / DSSSL 1.62 / OpenJade 1.3 / JadeTex 3.3.

I'm creating a book, and have %two-side% set to #t to generate two
sided pages.

What I'd like to have in print versions is:
- title page (page 1)
- copyright page (page 2)
- table of contents (page 3)
- start of first part (page 5 or some other odd page)
- start of first chapter (page 7 or some other odd page)

However, when I process with Jade/OpenJade and JadeTex, I get
- title page (page 1)
- blank page
- copyright page (page 3)
- blank page
- table of contents (page 5)
- start of first part (page 7 or some other odd page)
- start of first chapter (page 9 or some other odd page)

When I change \cleardoublepage to \clearpage in jadetex.dtx, I get:
- title page (page 1)
- copyright page (page 2)
- table of contents (page 3)
- start of first part (page 4 or next available page)
- start of first chapter (page 5 or next available page)

It appears that something in my toolchain is causing the title page and
copyright page to be treated as separate page sequences.  So, changes
that affect simple page sequences (like \cleardoublepage) affect them
individually.

As I understand the DSSSL stylesheets, in dbprint/dbttlpg.dsl, the recto
page of the title page is the title page, and the verso page is what
I'm referring to as the copyright page.  Is my understanding correct?

If my understanding is correct, is there something in the stylesheets
that is causing the extra blank pages when %two-side% is turned on?
Is there something that's causing the copyright page to be it's own
simple page sequence?

And yes, I have tried installing JadeTex 3.5.  It does NOT clear up
this problem.

Many thanks,
Debbie
--
Deborah Greenberg Lidl                       Toll free: 1.888.849.BSDi
dgl@bsdi.com                    BSDi             Phone: 1.301.765.7945