Re: questions about FO

Martin Bohatý wrote:

> I use FOP translator (from Apache XML project) to generate PDF from DocBook
> FO file. But FOP has some limitations (e.g. column width in tables must be
> specified), so some DocBook element (such as Simplelist, OrdererdList etc.)

I think that Saxon used together with extension should be able to count
table widths in FO.

> cannot be used. Is there any solution? New version of FO XSL stylesheet or
> another FO->PDF translator?

I have quite success with PassiveTeX.

> I have book divided into chapters and chapters are individual files (one
> chapter=one file) and use xref for cross-chapter reference. I need generate
> two different books. One in which book will contain whole text in one file
> and second which have same file structure as XML documents (i.e. one
> chapter=one file). First is OK, but second has invalid reference (to other
> chapters). Is there any way how to do this?

You are talking about printed version (PDF) of book or HTML version?

> Is there any free utility which can I use to convert XML or FO into RTF?

You can use Jade and DSSSL stylesheets. As there are DSSSL stylesheets
for DocBook which are more mature than XSL ones, getting RTF from
DocBook is very easy.