Re: Normalizing spaces?

/ "M. Wroth" <mark@astrid.upland.ca.us> was heard to say:
| Here is an example of content:

|           fimbriate a chief. Laurel precedent (Laurel Alison, Dec 86
|           and Aug 88) <q>however this is blazoned, in appearance it
|           includes a fimbriated chief, which is not permitted for
|           Society usage</q>. RFS VIII.3 limits fimbiration to simple
|           geometric charges placed in the center of the field; while a
|           chief is a simple geometric charge, it is not in the center
|           of the field. </p>

Right. So here's a version of that document:

<!DOCTYPE p [
<!ELEMENT p - - (q|#PCDATA)*>
<!ELEMENT q - - (#PCDATA)*>
]>
    fimbriate a chief. Laurel precedent (Laurel Alison, Dec 86
    and Aug 88) <q>however this is blazoned, in appearance it
    includes a fimbriated chief, which is not permitted for
    Society usage</q>. RFS VIII.3 limits fimbiration to simple
    geometric charges placed in the center of the field; while a
    chief is a simple geometric charge, it is not in the center
    of the field. </p>

And if I put that through nsgmls, I can see that the spaces
are preserved:

hermes:~$ nsgmls test.sgm
(P
-It is not permissible under the Society's rules to\n    fimbriate a chief. Laurel precedent (Laurel Alison, Dec 86\n    and Aug 88)
(Q
-however this is blazoned, in appearance it\n    includes a fimbriated chief, which is not permitted for\n    Society usage
)Q
-. RFS VIII.3 limits fimbiration to simple\n    geometric charges placed in the center of the field; while a\n    chief is a simple geometric charge, it is not in the center\n    of the field.
)P

Similarly, if I process it with a DSSSL stylesheet:

<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN">

(declare-flow-object-class element
  "UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Flow Object Class::element")

(element p
  (make element gi: "P"
	(process-children)))

(element q
  (make sequence
    (literal "\"")
    (process-children)
    (literal "\"")))

The spaces are also preserved:

hermes:~$ jade -c /share/doctypes/catalog -t sgml -d test.dsl test.sgm
<P
>It is not permissible under the Society's rules to
    fimbriate a chief. Laurel precedent (Laurel Alison, Dec 86
    and Aug 88) "however this is blazoned, in appearance it
    includes a fimbriated chief, which is not permitted for
    Society usage". RFS VIII.3 limits fimbiration to simple
    geometric charges placed in the center of the field; while a
    chief is a simple geometric charge, it is not in the center
    of the field. </P

So I'm still confused about what special processing you see being
applied to spaces.

Oh, wait a minute. Are you processing this with the JadeTeX backend!?
*TeX* automatically converts multiple spaces into a single space.
Could that be it?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--