Re: docbook xml - paper based outputs?

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> My belief is that there is no reliable, mature, easy-to-use product to
> make PDF from Docbook. The nearest might be the Framemaker route,
> perhaps via DSSSL, I suspect, but even that is a vale full of tears.
>
> face it, getting high-quality typesetting remains hard.

Unless you're using Arbortext Epic Publisher, which gives you top-quality
DocBook-based publishing. Epic uses FOSI stylesheets. I've used Epic (and
its predecessor Adept) at several companies since I started doing
XML/SGML based authoring. On projects that can't afford Epic, I use
(Open)Jade for print and PDF output.

Also, Epic is really good with outputing tables. You also have other
page layout features not yet supported by Jade or the FO routes. Some of
the FOSI features will probably never be supported by Jade or FO (though I
think the DSSSL standard does deal with all of them)

Alright, I'll get off the podium now.

<disclaimer>I don't work for Arbortext. I'm just a satisfied customer.</>

Gershon