Re: Docbook XML - including files

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:33:52AM -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:
> > <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
> > "docbookx.dtd" [
> > <!ENTITY % foo SYSTEM "foo.xml">
> > <!ENTITY bar SYSTEM "bar.xml">
> > %foo;
> > ]>
> > &bar;
>
> Could you clarify this solution a bit?  8^)
> If foo.xml is as Robert describes, then I think this will
> fail.  That is, if foo.xml contains <!ENTITY> declarations
> for individual section files, as well as references to
> those entities (as Robert said he was trying to do), then
> this example puts the section content into the DTD (above
> the closing ]> in the example).

I don't know how to have foo.xml cannot contain both the entity
declarations and references.  My example only works if foo.xml
contains only entity declarations, that you can reference in your
document afterwards (basically making foo.xml a library of entities).

>  I don't think that is what
> you intended.  I think you mean to separate the <!ENTITY>
> declarations for the sections into foo.xml, and the
> references to those entities in bar.xml, no?

That's not what I meant (I basically just modified a bit the original
example), but that would be doable I think (untested).

Another approach I think of would be to use sub-documents, but I don't
really know what this concept is about yet, and don't know whether XML
supports this SGML concept.  Does someone has any clues about that ?

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre