Re: DocBook XML/XSL - shaded?

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:20:38PM -0400, Jon Willeke wrote:
> If you're only concerned about HTML, use a CSS stylesheet.  My preference
> is to shade screens, but not programlistings, so I use the following:

The issue for the LDP is that people very often download an HTML page
(typically a version of a HOWTO document) and save it for later viewing.
We know that from user comments.  While I, too, would prefer a CSS
solution, it would then require the user to download *both* the HTML
file and the CSS file.... which some more novice users may not figure out.
So the HTML file needs to be as self-contained as possible.

Of course, I suppose another approach would be to put the CSS inside of
the HTML file...

In any event, that is why I implemented the shading in the stylesheets
instead of CSS.  There is no dependence on another file (and for that
matter, there is no dependence on the browser supporting CSS).

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        dyork@e-smith.com
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739