Re: Solution to funky TOCs in HTML Help...

"Bradford, Denis" wrote:

> >You should always have in mind that XML (and thus XML version of
> >DocBook) is much more sensitive to spaces and newlines than most typical
> >SGML appliacations. For example:
>
> According to my XSLT book, XSLT has lots of ways to control the generation
> of white-space nodes - elements like space, preserve-space, and strip-space
> elements - in contrast to HTML where the spec is not very precise, and so
> different browsers handle whitespace differently.
>
> After playing with these elements, I still don't understand how they work,
> but they're SUPPOSED to be useful  in stylesheets ...

They are usefull, but in XSLT there is no easy way to strip leading and
trailing new-line from

<xxx>
foo
bar
</xxx>

strip-space instruction can be used to strip whitespace text nodes only.
In my example, there is no whitespaceonly text node. There is just one
text node inside xxx element. In situation like this strip-space is
useless.