Re: Re: DOCBOOK: Minutes: DocBook Technical CommitteeMeeting: 21 Aug 2001

Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   I don't fully understand the problem from an editor point of view, they
> just have names with ':' in them, they should not have to worry about this,
> those are of course perfectly acceptable XML Names per the XML spec. Do
> you mean that XMetaL, Epic and Emacs+PSGML don't support names with ':' ?

They support it, but they don't support XSD or other schema language
which is able to handle namespaces. Without schema definition for your
document instances your editor cann't guide you while editing and cann't
check validity of your documents on the fly. Today's well supported
schema language is only DTD - no namespace support, no easy way to
integrate with other DTDs.

It possible to merge DTD, but you must fix namespace prefixes, which is
not what all users want. If you want to mix two DTD they must be well
parametrized and even if they are parametrized it is not easy as with
some schema language with built-in NS support.

				Jirka